Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Thursday, June 10, 2010

Never listen to what people tell you (me included)

Ok, so do you believe me or not based on the title? Today I had another Homer Simson moment , you know D'oh. For years we have been talking about the config commands SSAUDIT and SSAUDITR and how they only work with the Classic Add-in. I'm sure I read it somewhere. Someone (Brian Suter) casually mentioned to me that they are using it with Smartview. That goes against what I had been told so I had to try it. Sure enough, SSAUDIT creates the files and writes to them if you do a submit from Smartview. I still don't know about from a planning form and I think I would use the transaction logging in 11X as it is most likely more robust. But it is nice to know that this actually works.

Moral - Never trust what people tell you or even what you read. Test it for yourself. I know of at least three incidents where the DBAG is just plain wrong of what it says and other places where information is omitted.

No comments: