Why I created a blog

Its been many years since I first created this blog. It has remained true to Essbase and related information over those years. Hopefully it has answered questions and given you insight over those years. I will continue to provide my observations and comments on the ever changing world of EPM. Don't be surprised if the scope of the blog changes and brings in other Hyperion topics.


Monday, August 10, 2009

4th addendum to Data Export

Well, I guess the team at Oracle was listening to someone. I just looked at the release notes for EPM Fusion Edition 11.1.1.3 and there plain as day is the bug fix

Data Extraction. While exporting data to a relational database, DATAEXPORT does not create thedelimiters if there are one or more missing values in the last column. [8507606]

Another problem I was getting at a client was when I would remote onto a server using the consloe option, when I logged of the Essbase application would hang. That apparently has been fixed as well

Agent. When Essbase is running as a Windows service and the domain user logs off the machine,
the Essbase applications hang, which in turn causes Essbase Server to hang. [8279377, 8464004]


While I worked around both of these problems, Its nice to know I won't have to in the future

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn:

I developed a calc script to export data from a HP app using the DATAEXPORT command. I also scripted a clear, import and aggregation of this data into an ASO app. Everything works like a charm. But can users get locked out of HP during the export process? Same question applies during import and agg in ASO.

Thanks!
-Tom G.

GlennS said...

This is a calc script and unless you have commited access turned on users should be able to access the cube while the export is occuring. For ASO cubes you don't mention what version you are on. In version 7 users would get locked out during loads. In System 9 (9.3.1 and higher) and Version 11 yo can access while loads occur. You could always get data while aggregations are occuring, they are just slower than if the agg is complete

Anonymous said...

Both HP and the underlying Essbase engine and v11. So I'm in good shape. Going to look into having "committed access turned on."

Thanks Glenn!

-Tom G.

Leonardo Barbosa said...

I'm using essbase 11.1.1.3.
I'm using the calc script (DataExport to generates the export)

DATAEXPORT "DSN" "ODBC" "teste" "usuario" "senha"

I'm generating my cube exporting in a table of my database sql server 2005.

The problem is that this exporting generates a dimension as a PAge, and I can't put this dim page on my database... Is that possible?
Can I generate export without this dim page?

Is it not possible export to the database all dimensions, including all dense dimensions?

My dimension account and period are dense.

I cant put on my table of my relational database these dimensions using dataexport?


Thanks,

Leo.

GlennS said...

I'm afraid at least one of the dense dimensions has to be the columns. Some have gotten around the restriction by adding a single member dense dimension to the outline and using that as the column. This would be difficult to implement if it is a well established cube as every load,report, excel retrieval would need to be changed.